The average life of a boiler is 30 to 40 years, occasionally even longer. Sometimes it is best to replace an aging boiler, but if the boiler is in pretty good shape, it may make sense to repair it. Here are some things to consider as you decide:
Size and Type of Your Boiler:
- Watertube or Firetube?
- Low pressure steam?
- High pressure steam?
- Hot Water?
- Boiler horsepower?
- The larger the boiler, the costlier the replacement will be.
- A boiler will burn more fuel and cost you more money if it isn’t operating at maximum efficiency.
- Repairs can often bring your boiler back to its original level of efficiency.
- Cleaning the fireside of the boiler.
- Descale the waterside of the boiler, either chemically or mechanically.
- Retube the boiler. This will be a more cost-effective way than replacing the boiler.
Keep the Boiler, Replace the Burner
Because your boiler and burner each play their own role in system efficiency, we can evaluate them separately. In some instances it makes more sense to keep the boiler and replace only the burner with a new high-efficiency burner.
In many cases, energy-saving programs can reduce boiler demands, and an existing boiler can be fired with a new derated fuel burner, reducing burner cycling and increasing your energy savings while decreasing your fuel costs.
Install a New Boiler with a New High-Efficiency Burner
Pursuing this route would be the ideal way to go. Here, we have the opportunity to resize the new boiler to match your existing load demands.
We can use our “Energy Efficiency Analysis” questionnaire to help you figure out what’s best for you. This valuable tool helps us determine your annual fuel savings and your ROI if you choose to install a high efficient burner.
A new high-efficiency burner can also lead you to receiving a rebate from your local gas company. As a “Trade Ally” with Peoples Gas, Nicor, and Ameren, ACSI Mechanical Group can assist you with the paperwork and help get you the maximum rebate for your business.
We’ll help you make smart decisions that’s good for your system and for your wallet.